Susan G. Komen Ribbon

Susan G. Komen Ribbon

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Chemo update

Today was the visit to Dr. Andrews, my oncologist. We have the game plan down on how the chemo treatments will work out. I will have 2 different parts. The first part will be Cytoxan and Adriamycin. I will go every 2 weeks for 4 times (eight weeks). Then the second part will be Taxal every 2 weeks for 4 times (another eight weeks). He said I will definitely have total hair loss. I gotta tell you I am not looking forward to this at all! The only thing making this tolerable is the fact that I have friends who will come and be with me. Otherwise, it would be too overwhelming! I will be having a port put in on my right side thru which they will give the chemo. I have to have an echo cardiogram to make sure my heart can take all this. I better start exercising again!! I am also going to talk to a gene counselor regarding having the gene test to see if I am likely to get breast cancer again, or if Alison could be passed the gene. The reason you have to talk to a counselor is just in case they determine that you might get cancer for sure again, many women opt to go ahead and have their breasts removed. They help you make that decision. When Kent and I left the doctor's office, I felt rather down in the dumps, just knowing what lies ahead. But, I am trying to stay upbeat. It is especially difficult with Kent's current job situation. If you are a prayin' person, please say prayers that he finds a job very quickly. Alison will be down here in May to start work with Ernst and Young CPA firm. It will give me something to look forward to. American Idol is on tonight! I love watching the tryouts! I will write something tomorrow after my appt. at the surgeon's office for the port consult. Take care. Love, Deb

2 comments:

Aaron said...

I can't wait to see you this weekend. One day you will have super soft hair just like Danielle's. Maybe you can get some fashion tips from her.

see you soon

HealedbyGod05 said...

Oh Debbie!!!

I have so many thoughts running through my head right now! First, I am just recalling all of this similar crap Russ and I went through. When I lost my job and he had only had his business for one year when I was diagnosed......ohhh I remember the FEAR oh so well!

BUT, here is the good news. You give as much of yourself as you can to GOD and He will take care of everything! I KNOW that as well as I know the sky is blue! You are there for a reason in Marieta. I do believe that. God has a plan...it just looks different than what you and Kent had planned. That is ok though.

My new favorite thing I have posted on the wall is "God only has three answers to pray: 1.not yet
2.yes 3.I have something better.

I wish I was closer to be there with you going thru this. I know hearing that you are going to lose all of your hair is so painful. I remember hearing that I was going to have chemo (pretty serious chemicals in your body) was my concern how sick will it make me? NOPE-the big question was: will I lose my hair??? When they said yes-it was literally like my heart skipped a beat*NO HAIR???

I'm not gonna lie-it SUCKS at first. You have it coming out everywhere-on your pillow, when you scratch your head etc. BUT there is an UP side....was all my hair was completely out-you will be amazed at how fast you can get ready in the morning. HUGE PLUS! No shaving your legs-whooooo hoooooooo.....

I ordered a wig from Paula Young...you can check out their web-site I actually got a human hair wig for a pretty reasonable amount. You can then fix your hair the night before and then BAM...you just throw it on when your ready to leave the next morning. I really got used to that. LOL!!

The port that your getting put in- I have some GREAT tips about that. It is kind of a pain at first and it is very sore the first few days but-you will be so thankful in the end that your arms didn't get stuck a million times. I had two ports and one pic line (all at seperate times obviously). They are a life saver.

Well, I either made you more depressed or helped you think it may not be to bad...I mean if I can do it three times and lose my hair twice-You can do this GIRL!!! I am sure of it! Call me for anything PLEASE!!!!

On a more serious note and before I run out of room to say stuff-SERIOUSLY we are praying for you and they are praying for you at church and you are going to be ok! I promise!

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dani