Susan G. Komen Ribbon

Susan G. Komen Ribbon

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Chemo Brain

Time for updating the blog again. I am not a great writer, but I know it is good to get the updates out there! Thanks to everyone who is concerned!!

Let's see. Last week, I went in for my regular chemo session, but of course could not have it because of the radiation recall. They changed the treatment from Ruby (adriamycin) to Teri-tere (Toxitere). The first thing I had to do was be on a medication for 1 day prior to getting the new treatment, and then the two following days. The medication is for water retention that Teri-tere causes. We named it Teri-tere because Teri Nelson was down here with me when all this happened. Two days later we went to get the wig. The wig is itchy and I really don't like wearing it a whole lot. But, it does have its place. There are times I really need it. Most of the time I just go around balled at home, and wear hats and scarves out for longer trips.

While Teri was here she convinced me to go back to Nashville with her. I just could not think of a reason why I could not go. The next treatment was not until Monday, and Kent could pick me up in Chattanooga on Sunday. I was thinking (with Chemo Brain) that that weekend was still February. All this time, knowing in the back of my head that on March 1 Pam and Kristie Koerner were coming down to see me! Oh my gosh, did I screw up! I got a phone call from them on Saturday while I was with Aaron, and they were in Marietta on the way to my house! I almost threw up! I could not believe it. Trust me folks, chemo brain is a real true thing, and if you know anyone going thru this, be sympathetic! And double, double, and triple check with them if you make plans with them, cause they might do like I did! Last week was a very eventful week to say the least. I had my routine changed, started to lose my hair, and got my wig.

Monday, I did get the new treatment. So far, so good with it. It tends not to make you nauseous, so that is good. It does, however, drop your blood platelets more, so I go in on March 13 for a CBC and they will check my platelets. If they are low, I will get a Neulasta shot. Then I go back on the 24th for my next treatment is the platelets are high enough! Whew! It is a lot for us to remember. On top of that, I have to remember to start the medication 1 day before the treatment. Only 3 more though!! Hurray. There will be a celebration on May 5!

Alison graduates on May 9! Can you believe it?? We are so excited for her. Then she will be headed down here for 3 months to intern for Ernst and Young Accounting Firm. She is very excited about this opportunity. She has applied for the GMAC program where she will get her Master of Accountancy, then she will sit for the CPA. Hopefully, she will get hired by Ernst and Young after that!

Aaron is really working hard on his studies. He is on Spring Break this week. They loaded him down with homework too! So he is working and doing homework. He is anxious to move forward with his life. Audra is being so patient. Aaron gave me a big surprise this weekend. When I saw him, he had shaved his head completely balled in empathy for me! How sweet is that?

Okay, just two more things to tell you. When I was in Nashville, we went to the Registry in Franklin and surprised Dawn Peach while she was working. It was so much fun. Dawn, Teri, and I all teared up. It was just great fun to surprise her. After lunch we headed over to see Genia. I got her on her cell phone and was talking to her like I was in Georgia. Teri walked into the store and started to look around (on the clothing side). Genia said, oh someone is next door, Deb, I gotta run over there. I hurried in, went in the bathroom, and she walked in, saw Teri and started to talk to her and said, I just was talking to Deb on the phone. Just then I walked out and she turned around, and people you never have seen quite a spectacle as that! She screamed bloody murder, fell on the sofa, and continued to scream and cry. Teri thought she was going to have a heart attack! But it was good. She gave me a wonderful pair of Rich and Skinny jeans. The real dark ones that are like trousers. They are so cute. Dawn got me some stuff that will help my eyelashes grow back in thick! We sure had fun. Even though I had screwed up by going.

Aaron and I visited the Gradys and the Hodges in our old neighborhood. It was good to see them. We miss the neighbors. But, Sue and Karina are planning a trip here soon.

Take care until my next update. Love you all, Deb

2 comments:

Teri said...

Yep, Chemo brain is a real thing and I have seen it first hand! But then I have it and it's not because of Chemo! I guess we all have it sometimes. Deb you are so dear to everyone you meet. Believe me we'll let you slip up and still love you unconditionally! So chin up and learn the best way to deal with the memory lapses! I'm sure Christie & Pam are way over the mix up!

It was so great to be there last week. You are handling the entire cancer experience with a positive attitude and strong resolve. It is truly inspiring to me. When we went over to the wig shop and you sat down in the chair and she gave you the #2 shave and you didn't even flinch, I was so proud of you. The wig looks great and I was so glad I was with you.

Surprising Genia and Dawn was so much fun. I'm so glad you came back with me. I think it was so good for you.

Hope you finish your vest and start a new project soon! That was the neatest knit shop we went to. I think you'd enjoy learning more about knitting there.

I love you! Teri

Anonymous said...

Deb,

Had a great time going out to dinner with you, Genia, Teri and Dawn. It was so good to see you doing so well. (you know we love you even if you do have Chemo brain.) Hope things go well for you after this lastest Chemo treatment. You are an inspiration to all of us!

Love ya,

Sue