Susan G. Komen Ribbon

Susan G. Komen Ribbon

Monday, February 11, 2008

Meet Ruby and Roxanne!

You probably wonder who Ruby and Roxanne are. Well, they are two new "friends" at the chemo infusion center. Ruby is really Adriamycin. My friend Dawn gave her the name of Ruby because the drug normally is referred to as The Red Devil. Dawn suggested we come up with a new name for it -- Ruby (because it is red) and Roxanne (Cytoxan) may seem like ugly, mean girls, but in the long run they only want the best for you.

Dawn came down on Sunday and she said we were going to PARTY. S00000000000000, we went to the Buckhead Diner for dinner and she treated us to a fabulous dinner including their famous Blue Cheese Potato Chips. I even had 2 glasses of wine. It was a lovely evening!

The next day, we got ready to go to the chemo center and they drew blood from the port. Then Dr. Andrews came in and we had a great time with him. When he found out Dawn was a great cook (and I was her "right" arm, he showed us a menu for his Valentine Dinner at his house that he was hosting for his wife and 5 couples. So, we gave our opinions! We really wanted to be invited, but sounds like 10 people were about it!

He walked us over the the chemo place (where all the chairs are). First they asked if we wanted refreshments (another party)! They hooked me up, and we took pictures which you will see posted on this blog. There are pictures of Dawn, me, and the nurse along with Ruby and Roxanne! I wore my special gold charm bracelet that Genia gave me for good luck. This was all totally painless. The nurse, Carolyn, was very good at explaining what each drug was and how might feel when she administered the drug. She was very nice and nurturing (I think she really liked us) ! She stuck her head right in their to have her picture taken with us. Thankfully, I had no ill side effects during the chemo. Now, they did give me an anti-nausea pill before they started the drip, and I received another during treatment. I am feeling fine right now. Tomorrow, may be a different story. I did get really hungry during the 2 1/2 hours that we were there, so after we left, we went and had fish tacos (Dawn DID NOT suggest this, but you know me and Mexican food). Dawn did not even recommend it! She just wants it for the record that if I start puking fish tacos, it isn't her fault. What made it worse, we went to Krispey Kreme (which, again was NOT something she wanted to do), but she is feeling sorry for me and obliged anyway!! It all tasted good. I rewarded her with a trip to Sonic, so she could get a Sonic Diet Coke with Sonic ice! Yummy!

Tonight she is going to cook a meal for us and we are going to watch "What About Bob?", so we can laugh me well! Tomorrow, I go for a Neulasta shot at 10:00. This will help build bone marrow and white blood cells. The side effects of this are usually achy bones, but it beats going to the hospital to get blood transfusions when my count goes down.

Ta Ta for now!! Love ya, Deb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure about the fish tacos, but have a Krispey Kreme for me the next time..maybe two! Loved the pictures. You're looking maaarrvelous!

Peggy

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb,
Although we haven't met, I feel like I'm getting to know you through the blog. I'm part of Aaron's Sunday School class and we are praying for you. I love your spirit and enthusiasm for life. God will see you through this. The blog is great.
Nancy