Susan G. Komen Ribbon

Susan G. Komen Ribbon

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

yesssssssssssssssssssssssss! We're done!

What a great couple of days I have had! Monday, Teri Nelson and Lucia Hillenmeyer came down from Nashville to celebrate my last day of chemo on Tuesday, May 6. It was just such a wonderful thing for them to come, and boy did we have fun!

Monday, no sooner had they brought their suitcases in, we took off for Trader Joe's for a wine purchase (these poor Nashville people have to stock up while they are here)! Nashville is getting a Trader Joe's, but right now you cannot buy wine in grocery stores so everyone is wondering if that could change! After Trader Joe's, we did a little shopping and then headed out to a new restaurant called Urban Flats. Lucia wanted to try it because her husband's cousin is opening one in Nashville in the Gulch. The restaurant is a new concept with emphasis on Flatbread entrees. They also have wine sampling. It was really good, and I would recommend going once it opens in Nashville. Very hip, very urban, and very uptown! Then we raced home to watch Dancing with the Stars (truth be told, mostly so I could watch it)!

Tuesday, was the really big day! We had breakfast and headed over for the FINAL CHEMO TREATMENT!! My blood work was good, so I got the go ahead for the infusion. Dr. Andrews came in as usual to talk to me and told me that I could get my port out in about 4 weeks. I still have to go in and get lab work done, and a check up on May 28. After that I will see him every 3 months for awhile, and then every 6 months, and so on for 5 years. He explained that with my kind of cancer, if it recurs, it is usually in the first 5 years, unlike estrogen positive cancer which does not get an all clear until 10 years. He really feels my prognosis is good, based on the fact that my margins were clear and no lymph nodes were involved. I am so lucky, because the grade of my cancer was aggressive, so praise God for that! So, after the chemo session, we had a very light lunch, went to Harry's, came home and had a glass of wine, a quick change of clothes, and grabbed Kent as our designated driver and headed to the Buckhead Diner for a great dinner. We had the best waiter, who kept us really entertained! Then on home for American Idol.

Today, we did a little more shopping, had lunch, and the girls went with me for my Neulasta shot. They left after that. It was sad to see them go, but meant the world to me they came to see me and be with me!

Friday is another big day, Alison graduates, so we will be heading to Knoxville for that celebration. We will spend the night and come home Saturday.

Kent and I took a nice 40 minute walk tonight. The weather is so pleasant and I felt pretty good except for a little shortness of breath and indigestion that I always get like clockwork after the chemo. I do know that walking is really good for you, because it helps push the chemo through your body.

Once again, I appreciate everyone who reads my blog and love hearing from anyone who does read it. Hopefully, I will never have to have a blog for this reason again! However, I will be doing periodic posts just to let you know how I am doing and what is going on. If you are a praying person, pray that the cancer cells are completely gone from my body forever! Thank you and God bless all of you!

Love, Deb

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I can not you how proud I of you. I know this has been difficult. I know this has been a tough road, but you keep on the path and just worked your way through it. It was truly inspiring to see you step forward each and every day. I am so excited to see what the next 50 years bring. I love you so much.

Kent

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your last chemo treatment. Cancer is definitely not for sissies. The whole process you've gone through has been really inspiring. Kathy Kennedy

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news, Deb!!!! I thougt about you all this time and wishing that May came soon so you could end with the chemo!! No doubt that no more "bad" cells are in your body....you only have room for good ones!! All my support and hapyness in this new phase in your life! Love from Madrid
Mar Garcia... By the way, Michael sends you kisses (he is now in NM)